Friday, March 16, 2012

Make-up Drawer (Part 1)

I'm SOOOOOOO excited about this. 


I was going to do a blog post about reorganising my makeup drawer. But to be honest, all I did was move things around. 


What I REALLY wanted to do was make it all prettified and make it look completely different from how it looked before. 


I'll start with how it looked BEFORE:



I made the boxes to fit in the space. Some I made from scratch. Some I just added dividers into. While I was quite pleased at the time, it didn't look amazing. You can probably tell from the picture above, but I had all lipsticks and lipglosses together (right front). All eyeshadows together (front middle), a space for mascaras, lip liners and eye liners (far left). Then at the back middle, things like foundation, powder presses and blusher. Also some compact sets that I've accumulated over the years (which to be honest I barely even look at). 


The other day while I was having a break from studying, I decided that my brain needed a 10 minute break from Java code and so I did a bit of reorganising bit by bit. 


First of all I took everything out of the drawer. 



Then I got some double sided sticky tape and some cardboard and made some more dividers to divide up the boxes that were already there. 




I started with the lipsticks and lip glosses. I decided that rather than have them divided up by type (ie lipsticks vs lip glosses) I would divide them up by colour. The more I thought about it the more logical it seemed. I mean, usually when deciding what makeup to wear I would think, what colour goes with what I'm wearing. Not "would I rather be matt or glossy"!

So I made divider sections (and of course labelled them) for:
  • Clear
  • Nude/gold
  • Pink - pale/daytime
  • Pink - dark or bright/evening
  • Red
I also put lipliners in the relevant colour section with its lipstick or gloss counterpart. This made sense to me as I don't have that many lip liners. Here's how it looked:


Once I'd done that, I removed all of the eyeshadows from the section next to the lip stuff:


 I decided that I'd rather have a couple more sections there too. Originally I only had one section - for all eyeshadows. As you can see above, I added another one, but I then decided on three sections for:

  • pale or base colours (for me usually a cream or eggshell colour
  • everyday darker colours (mostly brown)
  • anything else that I'd likely use for an evening out
Here's how it looked:



 Then I did the section where previously I had put my mascaras, eyeliners and lipliners. As the lipliners were now with the lipsticks and lipglosses, I had an extra compartment free so I put the following in each compartment:

  • Mascara
  • Everyday eye-liner (normal black or brown)
  • Going out eye-liner (eyeliner pens, glittery eyeliners, bright colours)



 One more thing I did was to take all the compact cases of eyeshadows and break the lids off, and stick them down into this box lid. I had been thinking it would be nice to get myself a nice lipstick colour pallette but I haven't got the funds right now and I was SOOOO chuffed when I got the idea to do this. It means its more bulky if I want to take it anywhere with me but to be honest I never really used these at all, let alone when I went away. I tend to take my favourites with me when I go away. Here is how that looks:


And this is how the finished drawer looked. 






At the time I was pretty pleased with myself. Wait until you see what I did today though!!!


I'm going to be really mean and leave you in suspense as if I don't go to the gym now, I'll never get off this sofa!!!!


Click here for Part 2






2 comments:

  1. I love your organisation of the make-up. You have TONS :)

    I have enough for about one of those little sections LOL

    I blogged last Sat about a signature colour - you should have a look and please chime in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see part 2? lol. yeah I guess I do have a lot. the truth is I don't wear makeup that often but I rarely throw any of it away. I'll have a look at that post you mention. x

    ReplyDelete