Sunday, March 25, 2012

Decluttering box

Settled the baby again so here comes another one.....

As I said in my last post, I had a little bit of time to myself on Saturday and I was really enjoying decluttering and generally tidying up. But I often feel that I get easily distracted going from room to room achieving very little. So I had an idea to put together a "decluttering box". Basically, I thought I would set up a box that would contain a few things that I needed to carry around with me, including a notepad and pen so that as I think of other things that I need to do or buy, I can write them down, but also separate boxes inside it (compartments if you like) where I can put things that need to be moved to other parts of the house. I USED to just have ONE box that I would put everything in that didn't belong in that room but I then found that I would end up with just a box of stuff that I didn't know where to put. I felt that if I had just a smaller amount of things for the bedroom, I might actually put those things away in the bedroom next time I was there. And the same for other rooms. So, this is what I started with:

I put all my chalkboard label clips that I wasn't already using for something in there:


Then I added a couple of bags as they fitted the space as the end best. I wrote on the labels as and when something occurred to me as I wandered around tidying. I found a broken necklace and a toy phone that needed a new battery so I added them to the "NEEDS FIXING" bag. The bigger basket is "Ben to put away": 

Then there are boxes for "Our Bedroom" and "Abi's Office":




And the bag on the right, I haven't got around to labelling yet. I've just been putting stuff in there that needs putting away that doesn't fit into any of the categories above. 



I love how my labels look too. I bought a new chalk pen to use with them and it looks much better than the dress makers chalk pencil that I used before. 

Some people will probably say that the amount of time it took you to set up this box, you could have finished all your tidying and sat down and had a cup of tea. Maybe, maybe not. I just feel a lot more ready to tidy and organise when I have a system. And this box is something that can be put away in my office when I'm not using it. I wouldn't necessarily use it all the time but when there are things strewn everywhere and the house has got in an utter state due to us both working and maybe one of us studying or him being away so I'm coping on my own with the kids. It helps me to do stuff like this. 

Ending here as am in danger of rambling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment