Friday, July 27, 2012

Last day at work

I am being made redundant and today is my last day.

I'm not asking for sympathy. I'm actually pretty pleased about it. I have not always been happy working here and I have occassionally looked for something else while wondering if I was doing the right thing (good hours, good pay, comfortable environment) and yet something was never quite right for me.

I'm seeing this as an opportunity to move onto something better suited to me, to move closer towards my goal of starting my own business (this may still not happen until my kids are in school but at least I will soon have a bit of time to think about it, to work on my projects, write my blog etc).

It doesn't quite feel real for me just yet as I sit at my desk (with not a lot to do, if I'm honest). And my mind is swirling with ideas of what I will do. I want to feel like I have a purpose and not just meander from one day to the next, watching daytime TV and doing housework. So I've decided that the best thing is to make a list of things I want to achieve while I'm off, how I want to spend my time. I will have no children on Monday and Wednesday mornings and all day Friday.

When I have the children at home with me I want to:
  • Have more structure in the day
  • Plan trips out, playdates & fun things to do
  • Spend more time in the garden (weather allowing)
When I don't have them with me or when they are being quiet (yeah right!!), I want to:
  • Look for another job (ok, "want" probably isn't the right word - "have to" would be more appropriate!)
  • Write my blog more regularly
  • Work on organising projects (I will elaborate later when I've thought about what jobs in particular I want to do)
  • Do creative things (card-making and suchlike)
  • Become better at staying on top of the housework
  • Organise my digital photo archives (put all on ThisLife website - I'll be posting a review on here when I finally get around to that)
  • Organise "hardcopy" versions of photos - order photobooks and prints and put them in scrapbooks and albums.....
That's all I have for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment