Sunday, July 8, 2012

Help arrived

Since we returned from holiday (and indeed before we went) I had been feeling increasingly overwhelmed by all the clutter and mess and housework that needs doing in my house. It felt like everywhere I went I had to step over something in order to get to where I needed to go. OK, it didn't just FEEL that way, it WAS that way. It wasn't quite like one of those houses you see on Hoarder programmes but to me it felt that way because I just didn't know where to start and the feeling has been growing and growing and making me feel more and more overwhelmed - particularly since we got back from holiday (because of the unpacked suitcases and the pile of laundry that just keeps growing.

But today I was visited by 3 angels. OK, I haven't fallen over and hit my head. A friend and her 2 daughters came to visit me and help me clean and tidy my entire house. They arrived around 11am and didn't leave until nearly 3pm I think. They were like a 3 person hurricane (the kind that cleans up mess, instead of making it). They started with the kitchen, then the sitting room and dining room, then the hall and outside the front of the house and the downstairs loo, then upstairs to the hall, kids bathroom, spare room, kids room (after Lala woke up from her nap), then finally our bedroom, ensuite bathroom and Ben's office. Oh and my office. I'm so impressed. I helped too obviously. I didn't just sit and drink coffee while they did it all. I'm absolutely stunned, incredibly grateful. Speechless really. Well, not really speechless as I'm still talking/typing.

The thing that is wonderful is that now, all I need to do is try to keep up with it. I'm having a look at a site called FlyLady which is a site aimed at people (like me) struggling to keep on top of the chaos. She has a page called BabySteps which is a set of 31 instructions that you follow each day (a different one each day). I'm only just looking at it right now myself so I'll write more if and when I get to grips with it. There is also an iphone/ipad app that I have called HomeRoutines which has an instruction on its website for integrating the Flylady Babysteps into its app.

My friend has also texted me with a routine that will help me keep on top of it:

Monday - clean and tidy downstairs (put clutter away and clean kitchen)
Tuesday - vacuum and mop downstairs
Wednesday - clean and tidy upstairs (put clutter away, wipe surfaces and clean bathrooms)
Thursday - vac and mop upstairs
Friday - laundry (wash, dry & put all away)
Saturday - outside jobs
Sunday - chill out day

I may have to change things around to fit in with the days I'm at home. But I think this is a good structure to work around.

Sarah if you are reading this, I love you and I want to marry you and your kids!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment